Pizza or McDonald’s
Hey there friends, family and customers, at Primetime Pruning we hope everyone is having an awesome Monday here in Meridian, Boise, Eagle or Nampa Idaho. Now that Tom Brady won like his 30th super bowl I would like to kindly ask you all to refocus our attention on your landscape and homes, ya know, the things that are actually important. Home owners, if you live in Southern Idaho I want you to look in your flower beds, do you have perennial plants or trees that share the same common space…relatively speaking? For right now we are going to pretend that you do and I’m going to try and paint a picture for you to the best of my ability so feel free to sit back, crack a cold one and open up your mind a little.
Imagine you have a garden bed with 4-5 of some of your favorite perennials. Believe it or not, those plants decide on whether they are eating pizza or McDonalds on any given day or night. You’re probably thinking I’m crazy but before you jump to conclusions let me explain what I believe to be some what new information on how root exudates work and how the plants are actually forging their own work force, a colony of microscopic organisms that supply the plant with the specific nutrients that it wants and that would otherwise not be available for plant/tree uptake.
· Root Exudates: Unless we humans can physically see a sick tree we likely will never truly know what it wants because it has a mind of it’s own. What I believe to be recent research finds that plants and trees sweat, but before they sweat they mix up a very specific and desired (mostly sugary) concoction known as a tree/root exudate. That sugary yummy exudate then travels down the plants vascular system and into it’s root system. Once there, fungal bodies/colonies that adhere themselves directly to the root system known as “mycorrhizae” then eat some of that exudate. But wait, it gets even better. Once the exudate reaches the mycorrhizae something else happens, don’t forget that the plants have already decided what it wants, and what it wants is pizza. Mmm my favorite! In the exudate something else lies encrypted, a code that must be adhered to, otherwise…you guessed it, no sugary treat for you says the plant. When the mycorrhizae feed upon the exudate there is also a signal that let’s the mycorrhizae know what desired food the plant is wanting and so then it goes out and attracts that specific nutrient that the plant was wanting for food. Basically the plant makes the microscopic organisms work for their benefit by giving the microscopic organism what it wants. They both simply want food and good health, that’s it. Plant or Root exudates typically sweat out 4 distinct chemical compounds.
1. Sugar- the most significant exudate and it provides the most food for all different fungal and bacterial microbes.
2. Amino Acids-plays the biggest role in communication with and responses to microbes.
3. Organic Acids- major source of microbial nutrition.
4. Fatty Acids- Integral for mycorrhization, as well as colonization of pathogenic fungi.
Once again, I really appreciate you all stopping by. Until next time, see ya around. For more info visit: https://primetimepruning.com/